Now if you’re not a big fan of squash, this dish might not sound appetizing at first, but stay with me! I brought this dish into a work potluck last week and the casserole was gone within 15 minutes. Think of a baked mac and cheese, replaced with squash in a crunchy buttery goodness. Hungry yet? It’s really easy to make and perfect to have as a side dish or as your main meal, especially for the upcoming holidays.
Total time: 45 mins
4 – Yellow Squash, sliced and boiled
1 – Yellow Onion, diced
30-35 – Original Low Sodium Ritz or Gluten Free Crackers for Gluten-sensitive
2 – Eggs, beaten
1/2 – Cup milk
2 – Cups Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
3 – Tablespoons of melted butter
1 – Teaspoon Salt
1 – Teaspoon Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Dice your onions. Wash and thinly slice your squash into circles. I like to make them as thin as possible by using a Mandolin Slicer.
3. Place the squash and onion into a pot of water with a dash of salt and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
4. While those cook it’s time to start having some fun with the crackers. Place your crackers in a tightly sealed ziplock bag.
Get out your meat tenderizer or rolling pin and start beating!
5. Mix the cheese with the cracker crumbs in the same bag and set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl add:
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- Two-thirds of the cheese and cracker mixture
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- The drained squash & onions
7. Once this is mixed well, transfer contents to a casserole baking dish, add the remaining cheese & cracker mixture to the top of the casserole to form the crust.
8. Place in the oven to bake for about 30-35 minutes or until top looks golden brown . Let cool for a few minutes and serve :)
* To make this Gluten-Free use GF Crackers of your choice just make sure they’re slightly buttery. Glutino is not recommended the dish turns out too dry and falls apart.
Looks yummy, would love to try it out <3
Hey great “yellow” recipe, lol. I loooove cheese, so this must be delicious!
Squash and apples o.0? You’ll have to tell me how that goes, I’m kind of curious now lol
Np! Hope you like it:)
Ok, gonna try this on Wednesday. I just a squash to as I got a recipe for mashed squash and apples. Back to the store…. hege Thank you.
This sounds delicious! I will definitely try it out, thanks for sharing!! x
Haha I’m glad you like squash…I know too people who don’t, and *cough* I was one of those people who didn’t for the longest time. But I’ve converted now and I LOVE IT! Let know how you like it :)
Np! Hope you try it :)
make me a believer? not necessary, love squash, love cheese, and definitely plan to make this sometime :)
This recipe looks very yummy! Thanks for sharing Rakhi. :)